Career exploration at MHC leads to a Barclays internship for Aderike Ajao '16

March 16, 2015 at 8:41 AM

Aderike Ajao '16This summer, Aderike Ajao ’16—a double major in economics and politics—will spend ten weeks in sales and trading as an intern at Barclays in New York.

This past October, she was part of a group of Mount Holyoke College students who traveled to New York City for networking with alumnae at both Barclays and Goldman Sachs. The next month she attended the Barclays “scholars boot camp,” and that led to the offer of the summer internship—her second while at Mount Holyoke.

“When I started at Mount Holyoke, I was interested in litigation,” said Ajao, who moved to Amherst from Nigeria at the age of 15. “But through my exposure to corporate law during an internship at a law firm in Boston, I found myself drawn to finance.”

In College 211, a course emphasizing reflection and assessment on students’ off-campus experiences, Ajao developed a presentation for the annual LEAP Symposium that was titled “Grow Where You Are Planted.” It focused on seizing opportunities for personal development and offered advice on finding opportunities to match one’s interests.

Both College 211 and the LEAP Symposium are part of the College’s Lynk experience, which connects students’ academic work and career aspirations.

Ajao credits Mount Holyoke with helping students discern their career paths by providing the freedom to explore. “From my first-year seminar on African literature and a Community-Based Learning class in history to the Sophomore Institute and Career Development Center workshops on developing my online presence, I have been discovering my passions and learning how to build a career that reflects them,” she said.

Find out more on how MHC prepares students for success through The Lynk

#mhcten

Michelle Ducharme

Written by Michelle Ducharme