Careers in Public Service: MHC's Lynk goes on the road to the Massachusetts State House

March 27, 2015 at 12:39 PM

A daylong event at the Massachusetts State House brought current students with an interest in public service together with alumnae working in the field to strengthen their connections and help launch them into careers that will make a difference in the world.

Distinguished speakers, Judith Kurland '67 and Senator Kathleen Connor Ives '99 (pictured above near center, in green) inspired students with their keynote speeches. In her welcome, President Pasquerella noted the "staggering achievements" of Frances Perkins, class of 1902, saying that "Today, we continue the experience that so galvanized Frances Perkins. We are taking Mount Holyoke students out of the classroom and into the world of work."

“We see the power of alumnae encouraging the next generation of women leaders in the public sector,” said Becky Wai-Ling Packard, director of the Weissman Center for Leadership and professor of psychology and education. “The world needs women at the table, from running for a local town office, to shaping the policies of our nation, to representing nations across the globe. We see Mount Holyoke's Lynk initiative and the Weissman Center's Leadership and Public Service (LAPS) program contributing to this sea change.”

Senior Kate Bell reflected on the visit. "I learned about so many positions that I never knew existed. The site visit helped to get a better idea of just what exactly there is to do in the world of public service, while simultaneously reminding me that (due to the experiences of almost every alumna I spoke with) my first job does not necessarily need to forge an entrance into my career. I gained an even greater interest in campaign work and behind-the-scenes staffing for elected officials."

Read more about the student experience at the Careers in Public Service forum.

Support the Lynk Initiative through the Mount Holyoke Fund.

#mhcten

MHC Development

Written by MHC Development