The many benefits of a women's college

December 23, 2015 at 11:15 AM

grads.jpg"My mom is a Mount Holyoke alum, so growing up I never thought of women's colleges as being different from any other school. I looked at several women's colleges when applying along with other co-ed universities. It came down to this school giving me the best quality of education for the amount of money I was offered, but the close-knit community at Mount Holyoke really pulled me in. I really forged an identity here and have grown so much stronger in voicing my opinions, and I think I owe it to my school encouraging self-determination, supportiveness, and never fearing change," Jessica, class of 2018, recently told Her Campus.

The close-knit community at MHC and the world-class education are only two of the many benefits of attending a women's college. In an article for the Hartford Courant, Rhona Free, president of University of St. Joseph, highlights strong leadership and higher satisfaction from women's colleges. She cites research indicating that students who choose to attend women's colleges are exceptional, including a 2015 study by UCLA that concluded that women's colleges attract ambitious, creative, and intellectually curious students who are committed to social change.

The Women's Colleges Comparative Alumnae Research Project found that students participated more in internships, extracurricular activities, community services, and campus leadership than their counterparts at coed institutions. They are more likely to graduate in four years and to pursue a graduate degree. They also are more likely to report that their alma maters helped them develop lasting skills in effective writing and speaking, analytical and creative thinking, and to relate to people from different backgrounds.

Read more on the benefits of women's colleges in MHC News

#MHCimpact

MHC Advancement

Written by MHC Advancement