Alumna Spotlight: Naima McQueen '11. "Your Mount Holyoke College network will continue to be a powerhouse in your life as you move forward."

February 11, 2016 at 2:00 PM

Naima McQueen '11Naima McQueen '11 majored in psychology and African American studies at Mount Holyoke. Naima fondly remembers her years at Mount Holyoke—not only the amazing education which prepared her for success but also the incredible community.

What's the greatest lesson you learned while at MHC? Your peers and your professors truly invest in you, and in turn, you learn what investment looks like and how to then invest in others. Your Mount Holyoke College network will continue to be a powerhouse in your life as you move forward.

What's your favorite spot on campus? Rene Davis' Office. It continues to be a second home to me. She has always provided me a safe space to work through challenges, celebrate achievements, and find comfort when I needed it most.

Was there a moment you knew your life was forever changed? During my sophomore year, I took a course called the Inside/Out Prisoner Exchange Program. At the time, it was considered an English course. The course partnered a small group of Mount Holyoke students with a small group of women at the Western Massachusetts Women's Correctional Center for the duration of a semester. It was the most intense course I'd ever taken and I loved every minute of it. It was the first time that I'd challenged myself to think critically about access to education and opportunity. I went on to TA for the Inside/Out course my junior and senior years when Lucas Wilson took it on. The lessons I learned as a student and TA have continued to influence my work as a supplemental educator.

What are your top 5 favorite things about MHC?
1. My professors
2. The bold and brilliant alumnae
3. Driving on to campus (especially during winter when the main gate is wrapped in lights). Regardless of how stressed, exhausted, or aggravated you are, there is something about that first glance of campus after being away that catches you off-guard. There is a reason that MHC is consistently considered one of the most beautiful campuses in the world. I love coming back.
4. Prospect brunch
5. APAU

After receiving her Bachelors of the Arts from Mount Holyoke, Naima, immediately upon graduation, was accepted into the nationally ranked Coro Fellows Program in Public Affairs through the Coro New York Leadership Center, where she spent nine months rotating through various work sectors within New York City including government, labor union, electoral politics, private sector, and nonprofit. Upon her completion of the Coro Fellows Program, Naima served as a Center Director and the Community Outreach Specialist for the G Next Empowerment Program, a financial literacy and identity development program for low-income girls in New York City, ages 9-18.

Currently, Naima is the On-site Program Manager for RoboFun | Vision Education & Media where she manages all on-site programs, sales, and overall marketing of creative technology offerings for children ages 3-12.

In addition to her work with Robofun, Naima continues to facilitate workshops focusing on financial literacy, identity development and career planning for young people; is applying to business school with the intent of focusing on organizational change, strategic planning, and innovation leadership; serves on the board for the Cutout Theatre, founded by a Mount Holyoke alumna; and serves on the Coro Alumnae Advisory Board. In her spare time, she plays softball, indulges in Marvel comic books and movies, and travels as much as possible.

Want to share your favorite things about MHC for an alumnae spotlight? Leave a comment or email us at giving@mtholyoke.edu.

#MHCimpact

MHC Development

Written by MHC Development