Honoring the Class of 2020
Each spring at Mount Holyoke is filled with joyous celebrations and beloved events. Graduating seniors, especially, look forward to taking part in long-anticipated traditions such as Strawberries and Champagne, the Welcome New Alumnae Ceremony, the Laurel Parade and, of course, Commencement.
With the emergence of the novel coronavirus pandemic, Mount Holyoke was required to make extremely difficult decisions to ensure the safety and wellness of students, faculty and staff. Among these were the cancellation of all on-campus events through the end of May and the postponement of Mount Holyoke's 183rd Commencement.
This is a tremendous loss for the Class of 2020, whose final year on campus was unceremoniously cut short without the opportunity to take part in some of Mount Holyoke's most important traditions surrounded by their friends and families. While the College and Alumnae Association have been hard at work to quickly and creatively find ways to mark this memorable time, we know that there is something intangible — a certain alchemy — that happens when alumnae welcome seniors into their uncommon community.
To honor and celebrate this intrepid group of students, we are launching a special Commencement Challenge in honor of the Class of 2020. Through May 17 (the scheduled date of Commencement), we invite you to make a gift to The Mount Holyoke Fund and share a special message of congratulations or support with the class of 2020. The messages we receive will be compiled and shared with our seniors.
If we reach 2,020 donors by the end of May 17, a group of anonymous donors will give $100,000 to Mount Holyoke and $2,020 to the Senior Gift Campaign.
All gifts to The Mount Holyoke Fund through 11:59 p.m. PDT on May 17 will be counted. If we reach 2,020 donors by the end of the challenge, a group of anonymous donors will give $100,000 to The Mount Holyoke Fund and $2,020 to the Senior Gift Campaign.
Gifts can be made via:
- MHC Website
- Venmo | @mountholyokefund1837 (Make sure to include your name, class year, email address and message.)
- PayPal (Include your class year and message in the Add special instructions here field.)
- Mail* (Office of Advancement, Mount Holyoke College, PO Box 889, South Hadley, MA 01075-0889)
*In response to the global COVID-19 outbreak, the Mount Holyoke Office of Advancement has shifted primarily to remote operations. When possible, donors are encouraged to make charitable gifts online. Please note that there may be delays in processing any checks received via U.S. mail.
Please contact the Advancement Office via email or phone (800-642-4483) with any questions. For your protection, please do not leave credit card numbers on voicemail.
There are two ways share your message of support or congratulations with the Class of 2020:
- Submit your written message via this form.
- Email your photo or video message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
All messages will be shared with first name and class year unless you specify that you would like your message to be anonymous.
We encourage you to be as creative as you like in your message to the Class of 2020. Write a message, take a selfie holding a sign or record a video message.
Don't know what to say? Here are some ideas to get you started:
- You are amazing, you are brave, you are strong. Congratulations on your amazing accomplishments!
- Congrats Blue Lions — you've got this!
- We couldn't be more proud to welcome you to our tribe of uncommon MHC alums. Now go make yourself proud!
- Sending warm thoughts and congratulations as you begin the next exciting chapter in your lives.
- Remember that your present situation is not your final destination. The best is yet to come.
- May you always dare to do great things with your life.
- Keep on growing. Keep adding to the goodness and beauty in the world. Keep developing the unique dreams and talents that make you who you are!
- Wishing you all the best on this incredible milestone and good luck for the future.
- “Go where no one else will go, do what no one else will do.” — Mary Lyon