Funding the future

June 15, 2018 at 8:00 AM

MHF_Blog_LynkUAF_StonyCreekQuarryIntern2017A central goal of Mount Holyoke's Lynk initiative is to ensure that every student has the opportunity to explore their career interests, gain practical experience and begin to develop a professional network through an internship or research project. The College’s Lynk Universal Application Funding (UAF) program helps make this possible by offering each student a grant of up to $3,600 to pursue at least one unpaid or low-paid summer internship or research opportunity during her four years at MHC.

Lynk UAF allows all Mount Holyoke students, regardless of economic background, the freedom to have substantive, relevant learning experiences in their chosen fields without financial burden or worry.

In the summer of 2017, MHC awarded 388 students with funds to pursue internships and research in 42 countries.

taad-2018-apr11-L2KF  When I came to MHC in the fall of 2015, I never imagined the academic and personal growth that I would experience here. The summer of my sophomore year, I used my Lynk funding to work in a chemistry lab with Himali Jayathilake here at MHC. Because of this opportunity, I was able to develop my research skills, and this summer I was accepted into a research program at MIT! I know this would not have been possible without Lynk and the support of the MHC community.

At The Lynk's core are intentional reflection and assessment, and each funding recipient is required to reflect upon their summer experiences as part of the Lynk UAF program. This three-step self-reflection component empowers students to deepen their understanding of what they’ve learned, articulate their achievements and clarify how their goals, interests and values may have shifted.

• Step 1: Complete a Summer Internship Reflection Form.
  • Step 2: Enroll in a credit-bearing sustained reflection course (COLL 211), a departmental capstone or an Independent Study inspired by and relating to the internship or project.
  • Step 3: Give a presentation regarding the internship or project at the annual LEAP Symposium, Senior Symposium, or via a department or other approved, independently identified internship presentation opportunity.

Lynk UAF is just one way in which students are supported by gifts to The Lynk and Career Preparedness destination through The Mount Holyoke Fund. When you choose to invest in The Lynk, you support rigorous coursework, advising, alumnae mentoring, professional development and experiential learning that empowers students to achieve their immediate goals and equips them to navigate a lifetime of career opportunities and challenges.

Your gift. Your choice. Choose your destination.

MHC Development

Written by MHC Development