The Lynk Lowdown: Sofia Rivera ’18

June 20, 2018 at 2:21 PM

Sofia Rivera '18

Meet Sofia Rivera ’18, who came to Mount Holyoke from San Juan, Puerto Rico. An international relations major with a minor in American politics, Sofia served as the Latinx Caucus Chair and Membership Director for the College Democrats of Massachusetts and was a Department of State virtual intern with the U.S. Embassy in Mexico City, where she researched migration trends and human rights abuses in the region. She also interned with the Progressive Change Campaign Committee, a grassroots organization that focuses on building power at the local, state and federal levels. After graduation, Sofia will be pursuing a career in public service and community engagement, with a focus on electoral politics within the Latinx community.

Name: Sofia Elisa Rivera ’18
Hometown: San Juan, PR
Major: International Relations

Why did you choose Mount Holyoke?
I was interested in and attracted by the values that a women's college brings to its students (my mother graduated from Wellesley). However, it was not until I came to campus for MHC Preview Weekend that I knew Mount Holyoke could give me all the tools I needed to become the person that I wanted to be.

What is the greatest lesson you learned at MHC?
You are not alone. There is a community to help when you need and to celebrate the good things that happen to you.

What do you value most about your Mount Holyoke education?
The variety of opportunities that are available to all students who seek them out. I have noticed a difference with peers from other institutions in the variety of resources that Mount Holyoke gives to all members of the campus community.

Is there an MHC moment or relationship that changed your life?
After Hurricane Maria, Mount Holyoke College helped me personally and my broader community as a whole - in the bleakest of circumstances, Mount Holyoke lent a hand.

How has The Lynk impacted your studies and experience?
My Lynk experience was life-changing. It gave me practical experience in the field that I wanted, a lesson in city-living and budgeting, and overall a taste of the journey post-graduation. My Lynk-funded internship led me to pursue a minor in politics, specifically American politics with a concentration in party development, and it also helped me refine the transferable skills I could market to a future employer. The tools that MHC gave me — logic, problem-solving, open discourse, self-confidence, and a can-do attitude — were things that impressed employers.

List your top 3 favorite things about MHC:
1) The people.
2) The red stone buildings everywhere.
3) The feeling of home that it inspires in me.

What is one thing you would want to say to an alum who donated to MHC?
Thank you, I wouldn't be here without the path you set and the love you have for our institution.

Read more about Sofia's passion for politics and public service on The Gates blog »

MHC Development

Written by MHC Development