Student Life Stories: Emily Carle ’21

April 12, 2019 at 4:57 PM

Emily Carle '21

Meet Emily Carle ’21, a religion major from Newington, Connecticut. Emily fell in love with Mount Holyoke’s academic offerings, vibrant spiritual life and endless opportunities for involvement within the campus community. In addition to the numerous clubs and organizations that she’s involved with on campus, Emily is also the youth director at Center Church in South Hadley and an intern for Cathedral in the Night, an outdoor Christian community in downtown Northampton. She also manages an instagram account featuring photos of Mount Holyoke (@picturesofmhc) and enjoys skiing, eating, watching the Patriots and researching her family genealogy.

When you support Student Life through The Mount Holyoke Fund, you help students create connections through shared beliefs and across differences. You empower them to explore leadership opportunities on campus and within the community. You support students like Emily.

Your gift. Your choice. Choose your destination.

Name: Emily Carle ’21
Hometown: Newington, CT
Major: Religion

Why did you choose Mount Holyoke?
It ticked every box on my list for academics — a good study abroad program, the Lynk internship funding, a challenging liberal arts education and a healthy religious and spiritual life. I knew from the start that I wanted to go to a historically women's college and after college decisions came back to me, Mount Holyoke was one of them. I just knew it was the place for me.

What do you value most about your Mount Holyoke education? How has this community helped you thrive?
I value the endless opportunities to get involved. It seems like every day there is a new research opportunity, a new internship, a new position with an on campus office or a new club. I've gotten involved in so many ways and explored what I am interested in, and I wish I had more time to do everything!

What do you hope to do after you graduate from MHC, and how do you think your MHC education will serve you in this pursuit?
I am not sure what I want to do after MHC! I want to go to Divinity School, but I will probably get a job first, hopefully doing some sort of religious nonprofit or advocacy work.

What is one thing you would want to say to an alum who donated to MHC?
It is so cliché, but thank you! After you send the donation, it may seem like it's going off into the void, but I can tell you for sure that we see the impact of your donation on campus.

What cocurricular activities or organizations are you involved with on campus?
I’m involved with the MHC English Handbell Ensemble, which performs during Vespers and again in the spring. I’m also involved with The Network, a student social programming board that organizes and hosts events like Night Fest, Halloween Bash, Galentines and Spring Weekend. Lastly, I’m part of the Interfaith Leadership Council, which is a group of students of different faiths who promote interfaith awareness and literacy on campus.

Which of your cocurricular activities has been most impactful? What skills have you learned from your experiences?
Handbells! I've had amazing experiences performing at Vespers in Boston and New York City (thanks to alums!) that I never would have gotten had I not been in MHC Handbells. I've also learned group management skills and how to work in a team since becoming the conductor for the ensemble.

How has living in a Living-Learning Community (LLC) added to your MHC experience?
I chose to live in the Interfaith LLC because I wanted to be in a community that not only respected religious identity but encouraged it and encouraged dialogue between people of different religions. It has been fun — there has definitely been bonding over international snacks and weekly Netflix nights!

Have you held leadership positions in any student organizations? What have you learned about being a leader?
As conductor of English Handbell Ensemble, I run the rehearsal: what section of the music we'll be working on, fixing tempo and dynamics, teaching technique. It can be difficult being a leader, especially in handbells, where you basically control the entire rehearsal time. I am also the vendor and merchandise officer of The Network. I design t-shirts and find other items to give away at our events. I also assist the other board members with event set up and break down. As secretary of the Interfaith Leadership Council, I take meeting notes and contribute ideas on how to promote interfaith literacy and knowledge through planning interfaith events.

Are you involved with religious or spiritual life on campus? How has that impacted your overall educational experience?
Yes! I love the Office of Religious & Spiritual Life (ORSL). I am active with the Interfaith community — the LLC, Interfaith Leadership Council and Interfaith Lunches — and am also active in the Protestant community on campus. I can't begin to explain how amazing the ORSL has been for my MHC experience. It certainly would not be as vibrant. There are genuine people in the ORSL who are there for me as a mentor, as a shoulder to cry on, as a reference and as a smiling face I can count on. I've made connections with all of the chaplains and advisors, even the ones who don't have the same faith as me. The ORSL has greatly shaped my identity and my faith. I love them!

Rachel Nix ’20

Written by Rachel Nix ’20

Rachel, a politics major and sociology minor, is a marketing assistant in the Office of Advancement and a contributor to the MHC Forever blog. Hailing from West Virginia, she serves on MHC’s Admissions and Financial Aid Advisory Committee, is deeply involved with social justice initiatives and loves spending her free time with friends, reading on the green or trying to pet Jorge, the goose.