Volunteer Voice: Barbara Kelly ’71

June 29, 2020 at 9:45 AM

Barbara Kelly ’71A dedicated volunteer, Barbara Kelly ’71 has maintained an active connection with Mount Holyoke, both in service to her classmates and to the College. Over the years, she has helped plan reunions and lent her time and talents as a class agent, reunion gift caller and Cornerstone representative.

Now a member of the Reunion Lead Gift Committee for her upcoming fiftieth reunion, Barbara appreciates the continued opportunities that she has as an advancement volunteer — not only to cultivate longtime friendships but to discover new camaraderies with classmates she may not have known during her time on campus.

What has life been like for you during the pandemic?
Surprisingly busy as I whittle down my “to-do list.” Being retired and living in a country setting, the time spent at home is not that much different than my normal routine. But I miss the opportunity to get into New York City for cultural events.

How have your Mount Holyoke connections helped you through this time? What has the MHC network meant to you?
My fundraising contacts with classmates have provided an enjoyable opportunity to reconnect with friends from college and to get to know classmates whom I didn't know well. It has been fun to discover common interests and priorities.

Why is it important to you to support Mount Holyoke at this time?
The financial stress of this pandemic will test the College's resources.

Why do you believe it is important for alumnae to support the College?
Mount Holyoke provides an excellent opportunity for women to develop their academic and social skills, as well as an appreciation of how they fit into the world and how they can contribute.

What has your MHC education meant to you?
It has been a strong foundation for my life experience. I am very grateful for all the opportunities I had as an MHC student. They prepared me to have the confidence and abilities to have a very rewarding life, both professionally and personally.

MHC Advancement

Written by MHC Advancement