Who’s calling? Meet our Phonathon students!

October 4, 2016 at 1:27 PM

phonathon-2016-fall.jpgDid you receive a phone call from 413-538-2000 last year? Most alums know that when the MHC number comes up, there is an enthusiastic student on the other line looking forward to connecting! Perhaps you shared your favorite memories from your time on campus, or maybe they talked about their classes and their favorite M&Cs... but who are they?

Every year a diverse team of passionate, inspiring Mount Holyoke students comes together to call thousands of alumnae as part of The Mount Holyoke Fund's Phonathon program. Although these students have different interests, class years and majors, they share a passion for Mount Holyoke and our powerful community of alumnae. These students understand the important role that alumnae support has played in giving them an exceptional educational experience, and they are excited to be able to connect with alumnae and share their stories. 

This fall, we want to introduce you to the students behind the phones, starting with our three managers:

sheila.jpg

Sheila Bharat '18

Hometown: Tashkent, Uzbekistan

Major: Sociology/Psychology

Why did you want to be a part of the Phonathon? I wanted to see more of the MHC community by reaching out to alums and hearing about their Mount Holyoke  experiences.

What does alumnae giving mean to you? It shows that Mount Holyoke is not a 4-year experience—it extends to your entire life. Alumnae giving is an indicator of the success of the institution.

What is your favorite MHC memory? Late night study sessions in academic buildings fueled by Raos coffee.

helen.jpg

Helen Bedree '17

Hometown: Cincinnati, Ohio

Major: Psychology major and a French minor

Why did you want to be a part of the Phonathon? I continue to return to the Phonathon to connect with MHC alums.

What does alumnae giving mean to you? Alumnae giving means renewing Mount Holyoke's legacy and inspiring MHC students to do the same when they are alumnae themselves.

What is your favorite MHC memory? Becoming a member of the Unusual Suspects Improv Troupe!

sian.jpg

Sian Douglas '17

Hometown: Cambridge, England

Major: Economics

Why did you want to be a part of the Phonathon? I always enjoy events with my Grandmother classfrom tea ceremonies to fudge tasting. My friend told me about this opportunity to speak with alumsI loved the idea of being able to connect directly with them and talk about what is currently happening at school.

What does alumnae giving mean to you? It means that I got the grants I needed to make MHC a possible reality. That I can enjoy M&Cs with my friends and talk about my day. Or that my friends and I can afford to do internships and add things we are passionate about to our resumes. Alums have helped with every important facet of my education and livelihood at MHC.

What is your favorite MHC memory? There are too many to choose from. When I first came to visit MHC my sophomore summer of high schoolI was supposed to have a tour but there was a lightning storm. All of the (soaked) prospies sat around a table on the floor in Admissions and received a tour via map. It was such a great experience to still learn about the school and not let the weather get in the way. Later the rainfall slowed and we ventured outside—we saw a bride leaving Abbey Chapel and she laughed at the bad weather. After that, I knew I wanted to go to MHC.

MHC Development

Written by MHC Development